Local Transit is committed to providing people with restricted mobility, especially those with disability, a range of transport options in order for them to fully participate in society and their community in all aspects of their lives. This includes enabling people with restricted mobility to access the full range of public transport options available in Melbourne.
Although a relatively new and a small player in this space, Local Transit is developing unique business models and strategic partnerships to assist our social enterprise to better serve its beneficiaries.
Our approach to empowering people with disability to access Melbourne’s public transport network adopts the following principles.
- Delivering an accessible network
- Mobility as a Service (MaaS)- the integration of various forms of transport into a single mobility service
- Providing first and last leg transfers for people with restricted mobility to and from accessible public transport stations and stops
- Linking passengers and drivers through innovative app technology
- Building customer confidence in public transport for people with disability
Local Transit has several years of experience delivering rail replacement services for people with restricted mobility as well as for able-bodied customers.
We have also participated in bus trials for public transport in areas of Melbourne that are underserved by public transport. These trials offered scheduled peak hour services from virtual stops to the nearest train station during peak hours, and on-demand wheelchair accessible services for vulnerable and mobility-impaired community members at other times.
Currently, Local Transit is developing:
- A first and last leg trial in Melbourne
- A service to familiarize people with disability with various public transport modalities in order to build their confidence and ability to use public transport
Local Transit offers our clients and partners:
- Proven experience in the public transport sector since 2019
- A range of inclusive vehicles (10-25 seaters) that allow for general passenger transport as well as the inclusion of people with wheelchairs and other mobility aids. All vehicles are industry-compliant, comprehensively detailed and well-maintained to provide clean, comfortable and safe transportation for passengers
- Reliable, professional drivers, each with many years of experience transporting passengers, including people with restricted mobility, in Melbourne
- Drivers who professionally trained and operate under detailed contracts with Local Transit. Drivers take full responsibility for the quality of their services and guarantee the comfortable and safe transport of every passenger by following our company’s strict operating procedures. All drivers are endorsed by the Department of Transport and specifically trained to transport wheelchairs and other mobility devices. They hold Police Clearances, Working with Children Checks, and Level 1 First-Aid Certificates
- Total Covid safety by operating under a DHHS-compliant CovidSafe Plan, according to strict procedures for all vehicles, with hand sanitizer and PPEs in each vehicle, QR codes and other forms of registration, disinfection of each vehicle after each trip, and drivers specifically trained in hygiene and covid safety and our vehicles are comprehensive and public liability insured
Our reliable, accredited, professional drivers all have many years of experience transporting people in the commercial passenger industry in Melbourne. Our drivers are professionally trained and take full responsibility for the comfortable and safe transport of all their passengers by following our company’s strict operating procedures. All drivers are endorsed by the Department of Transport and specifically trained to transport wheelchairs and other mobility devices. They hold Police Clearances, Working with Children Checks, and Level 1 First-Aid Certificates.
All our drivers are trained to deliver the NIDS if required. This is particularly useful for medical appointments and community outings.
Local Transit follows strict Covid safety procedures. All vehicles are disinfected after each passenger trip. Each vehicle is equipped with hand sanitizer and garbage bins, as well as gloves and masks. QR codes are available for digital contact tracing in all vehicles. Drivers have been trained in hygiene and covid-safety procedures and follow our compliant protocols.
Local Transit is fully accredited and safety-compliant with the Victoria Department of Transport for commercial passenger vehicle and bus operations. All vehicles have comprehensive insurance and are covered by public liability insurance. The company has experience with managing contracts from government and private sector agencies.
For inquiries about our public transport capabilities and initiatives, please call or complete the contact form below, and a friendly staff member will respond.